In general a certified mold inspector or assessor should be called if a surface has visible mold, if people on the site are experiencing health problems related to the site or if there has been or exists an odor that may have been contributed to past or present moisture intrusion.
1. GET RID OF THE MOISTURE! Mold cannot thrive without water. If there is moisture, the mold will continue to grow even after cleaning.
- Fix plumbing problems
- Check exhaust fans in the kitchen and bath and use them during cooking, showering, etc.
- Vent clothes dryer outside
- Check drip pans and drains (refrigerator, air conditioner, dehumidifier)
- Check for water in duct work
- Look for condensation on inside of surfaces of cold outside walls, especially behind appliances and furniture
- Repair any defects that may allow water into the building
2. Small areas of non-toxic, non-pathogenic mold, on non-porous surfaces may be cleaned by damp wiping. This may be done with a bleach solution (one part bleach to ten parts water) or many common household cleaners. Dry the area immediately. Porous ceiling tiles, carpets, drywall, etc. will have to be replaced if they have become moldy. It is recommended that protective gloves and dust masks be worn when sampling or cleaning up any mold.
3. CLEANUP OF TOXIC OR PATHOGENIC MOLDS BY UNTRAINED PERSONS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. IT IS TO BE NOTED THAT UNTRAINED PERSONS ATTEMPTING A CLEANUP OR REPAIR MAY PUT THEMSELVES IN DANGER AND MAKE THE PROBLEM WORSE.
4. HOMEOWNER CLEANUP OF ANY MOLD GROWTH MORE THAN TEN SQUARE FEET IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
5. CLEARANCE TESTING IS RECOMMENDED AFTER ANY REMEDIATION OF MOLD